Review - Carnival Hill (The Harlequin Crew #3) by Caroline Peckham & Susanne Valenti

by - July 13, 2021

 


Carnival Hill (The Harlequin Crew #3)

Release Date: June 28th 2021
Genre: Romance, Contemporary, Dark, New Adult, Suspense, Reverse Harem

Synopsis:

I thought that I was broken before, but my damage never tasted as bitter as this.

The Harlequin boys are more than just a memory now. More than a daydream of our youth and an idea to cling onto.

They’re my greatest weakness and my biggest regret, but I’ve started to realise that coming back to Sunset Cove was always my fate.

My heart beats to the turn of the tide here. My skin only warms beneath this sun. And my soul will only ever be home on these streets and with the men who grew out of my memories.

But nothing is the same as I remember and the time for childish games is coming to an end.

I may want to pretend that the last ten years never happened, but the nightmare I lost myself in has followed me home and I can’t keep ignoring the things I once did to survive.

The question is, will my mistakes be the end of me and my boys? Will the choices I made then change everything now?
And will the life I never wanted steal away my only chance at the life I’m afraid to wish for?

This is an enemies to lovers contemporary series where the girl will end up with multiple love interests and all of the characters are in their late twenties. Trigger warning: this series features gangs, violence, dark romance and jealous/possessive themes.



I should be familiar by now with the emotional wreck Caroline and Susanne always leave me in after finishing one of their books, but for some reason I was not expecting to reach a whole new level. I literally threw my kindle across the room when I reached the last chapter with "F*cking Shawn".

Don't get me wrong the book was good. The level of angst that Caroline and Susanne provide to readers is over the roof, to the point that at some point you want to go yourself to the Harlequin House, make Rick, Fox, Chase, JJ and Rogue sit down and act as a mediator while they talk about their "true feelings".

That said, even though there's a hole in my heart I feel this is my favourite book in the series. I feel like the previous books have been a build up and a chance for the characters to grow on us for this exact moment. There's drama (lot of that), there's romance, there's funny moments (excuse me while I have Tatum's guys order the Harlequin Crew to steal a giant squid lol) and there's a bunch of revelations. But more than that, the villain gets upgraded to super villain boss.

I love the more we go with this series, we get to see more of the characters and their layers. To understand that their relationship with Rogue is not perfect and sometimes not the healthiest but they would do anything for her.

Of course, the queens of cliff-hangers left us with a massive turn in the story right at the very end (we were so close to a somewhat happy ending guys...) and now here I am empty and emotionless waiting for the next book because I need the boys to realise the truth and go save the day. I don't think my bookish heart can deal if we spend HALF A BOOK in the next instalment of them moping around while they believe some bullshit story (I have strong feelings about this guys...).

Anyway, I don't know if my ramblings make any sense since I started this book last night and finished it at 2am, BUT long story short, read this series and then message me. We can cry and be angry together. It will be epic.

Side note, I never thought I would be saying this, but I ACTUALLY FEEL LIKE CRYING FOR CHASE.


You May Also Like

0 comments