Review - The Better Bully by Roxanne Tully

by - February 17, 2021

 


The Better Bully

by Roxanne Tully
Release Date: February 16th 2021
Genre: Adult, Romance, Bully, Enemies to Lovers, Sports
Gooodreads | Amazon

Synopsis:

Reed

Hang on a second. I never bullied anyone. I’m not that guy.
I was a star quarterback in high school with more friends than I could keep track of. With it being my senior year and college scouts already taking interest, I had a bright future.

Then this crazy redhead shows up ranting at me like I’m the filth of the earth…what right does she have? So naturally I had to defend myself. I may have gone a little overboard – but it was only to ensure she’d stay out of my way for good.

That was four years ago.

Now she shows up at Whitman U and I find myself going beyond my norm to keep her from dodging me at every turn.

Violet

The fresh start I was supposed to have by transferring to Whitman is starting to feel more like a big bag of dirt. And when things couldn’t get worse, I come face to face with an enemy of the past.

But it seems I’d fallen into some sort of alternate universe. Because instead of making my life hell, Reed Hayes had become my unforeseen protector in the havoc that has become my life.

Author’s note: This is an enemies to lovers sports romance.



The Better Bully is an easy to read enemies to lovers bully sports romance book.

This story was a bit different than my usual bully romance reads. The bullying was not as graphic and even though the author tells us the last year of high school was rough for our main character (Violet), we don't really "see" any of the bullying. By the time the "NOW" story starts following, the bullying is something in the past (when they were teenagers), yes, there's animosity between the characters, a lot of sarcastic banter between them, but none "hardcore bullying". I liked that this story is focused on "now that we are adults, things are different" to the point of Reed staying away because Violet would be more intriguing that he may have predicted.

I was a bit outraged (as much as Reed) that Violet started this whole thing because she was fiercely defending her older and nerdy brother and the brother LITERALLY WAS OBLYVIOUS to everything that was happening to Violet in high school.

Overall you have the perfect combination of topics to have an enjoyable romance: ex-drama, a past that might make the relationship complicated, the brother not liking the past and the relationship and situations forcing the 2 characters to interact all the time.

A few things that made this book enjoyable were:
1) The back and forth between Reed and Violet.
2) The different POVs. We get to see what's happening from Reed & Violet's POV and that adds a lot to the story.
3) The back story and the impact that is having in the "NOW" events.

So if you are looking for a light romance read with a bit of bullying with an enemies to lovers trope, I recommend THE BETTER BULLY.



Enemies to lovers Sports Romance
Brother’s best friend
First person dual POV

You May Also Like

0 comments